Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A day at the zoo

We enjoyed a very fun day at the zoo over our holiday weekend.  Sadly the rest was mostly spent working in the yard, and my hands are swollen and sore today because of it.  I think I'm getting old.  Anyway, the zoo was loads of fun.  All of the animals were close up and easy to see.  Some of the first animals we saw were eagles.  The kids thought those were awesome.  At one point they were all flapping their arms and flying around the place.  It was really funny to see Alex because he was fully in character and had this very serious expression on his face, trying to be very eagle-like in mood as well.  I guess the eagles looked very serious and grumpy to him.  

Adam loved every single animal but was most excited to see the giraffes.  He was also really happy because we brought a stroller for him, something we rarely do.  He was rather possessive of it actually, no one else was even allowed to look at it. 

Sarah was more interested in the creepy animals then I would have thought.  Actually rather brave for her, she is easily worried and scared, so I was happy with this desire to see everything right up close.  But when we got to the insect zoo the kids were calmly looking at the cage of HUGE cockroaches when I notice that one of the helpers is standing next to Sarah with one in his hand.  I know if I say anything and she turns her head she will freak out, so out of the corner of my mouth I whisper to Kyle, grab Sarah before she.....  She of course turns and freaks out.  Mostly just a lot of tears which was followed by a fear of all things for about 10 minutes.  But I have to say in her defense when she turned she was basically face to face with the thing.  The boys being boys, basically snuggled with the thing.  Gross!  Overall a great day.

Enjoy a few pictures from our fun day.


Here are the kids doing their best eagle, in an eagle's nest.

Here they are looking at the elephants, we were wishing we could have seen the new baby.

I hope this is not a vision of Alex's driving in the future!

They have a new creepy polar bear mascot walking around.  Just not the same when you were recently at Disneyland, but the kids wanted to hug him all the same.

2 comments:

Acker Family said...

Love the pictures! And that bear is creepy! I haven't been to the zoo in ages! Time for us to go! :)

girl said...

I love your commentary. I can totally hear you telling the story! :) By the way, I am waiting to see if there is another hilarious first day of school story like last year. If so, please blog about it! :)