Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Seriously, First Grade!

Wow, I can not believe I have a first grader!  I have truly been dreading this day.  I can't believe that I see Alex only a few hours every night, we will be the weird family where the mom is begging the kid to take a sick day.  I must show him the art of faking a fever, I guess.  For those reading this that know about Alex's first day last year, this is not going to compare.  (Our cat followed us to school, it is something I will never forget.  We were quite a sight with me holding this crazy cat that was freaked out by the time we got there.  Long story short it was hilarious.  I still owe Angie big time for holding the cat while I walked Alex in, I found out later she is very allergic.)  Because of the adventures getting to school last year I had no time to be sad about what a big boy I had, so I am making up for it this year.  

Today actually went pretty well.  Just some teary eyes as I walked back out to the car.  Last night however I wondered around two different stores completely sad with tears in my eyes, ready to really sob at any moment, searching for school supplies.  Future note, don't wait until the night before school starts.  We still don't have the erasers he was supposed to have, oh well.  What's really sweet is that last week my mom asked Alex if he was excited.  He said no because he knew I was going to be really sad with him gone, he said he knew I might even cry.  What will I do the day he actually wants to go to college or, gasp, get married!  

Well off he is, on one of many life adventures.  He had been telling me all summer that he was not excited, but he was up and dressed before I was ready and he had his backpack on before he even ate breakfast.  He watched excitedly as I packed his lunch and complained that I took way to long getting Sarah dressed so we could leave.  I would say he was excited.  Then the best, he got to sit right next to one of his very best friends, Will.  His teacher seems really nice and being the independent that he is, he opted to ride the bus home today.  

I am only about 45 minutes away from getting to greet him with a yummy snack and way more hugs and kisses then he will want to deal with. 
Now I just have to get through watching Sarah go to school next week.  It won't be pretty.

4 comments:

girl said...

Oh, I love you my friend! Good luck next week and sorry today was rough. Hope the bus ride home was fun! :)

Acker Family said...

Oh my 1st grader! That is crazy! Way to go on not sobbing in front of him. I'm sure I'll be a wreck when it's Lily's turn!

Family of 5 said...

You made me want to tear up just reading your sweet post. Sometimes I will admit that I look forward to my kids going to school...especially when my days are crazy hectic with kids screaming nonstop...but then I know when the day comes I will definitely be sad! Hang in there! I'm sure you'll keep yourself so busy through the day and will enjoy that time with him so much more when he is home! :)

Palmer Family said...

wow I can't even believe it!! Wasn't he just the cutest little ring bearer in my wedding and loving spiderman yesterday? I seriously can't believe how big everyone is getting!