Wednesday, September 10, 2008

She did it!

Well Sarah is officially a kindergarden princess now.  She had her assessment day on Monday, which went fairly well.  She was scared when I left, but mostly calm.  I picked her up as well as dropped her off.  She was holding her teachers hand as she walked out to the car, looking a bit unsure but she said she had a good time.  
Yesterday was the dreaded first day of school.  She kept asking me if there were going to be a lot of people (assessment day is just a few kids).  I couldn't really set her mind at ease because I knew it would feel like a million people to her.  Especially because parents tend to hang out and watch their kids.  They don't realize the added stress this is on a little girl like Sarah.  Anyway, she cried, A LOT.  Hard, full on sobbing, terrified tears.  I leaned down and prayed with her, telling her Jesus would be right here the whole time even if mommy wasn't.  This did not provide the comfort I was hoping for.  I finally had to hand her off to the teachers aid and grab Adam, who was not being super helpful of course, and run.  I was really close to crying, but held it together.  Another parent that I know stayed a little longer and when she came out she said Sarah was already fine.  I knew she would be, she just likes to make it hard.


So today was going to be the big first time on the bus day.  She's really excited and I'm excited to watch her and take all these great pictures.  Of course Adam wakes up throwing up.  This makes everything a little more interesting, but I think maybe he'll be fine long enough to get the kids on the bus.  Just as we are walking out the door he pukes, milk bleh, all over himself and the floor.  Like a trooper though he stood in one spot (puke still on him and the floor) while I ran the kids down to the bus stop.  I snapped a fast picture of her in line and handed her off to my friend Emily.  Thanks Emily for being late to all your stuff so Sarah had someone to wait with.  I was blessed by my mom who came and sat with Adam while I waited for her to get home, so at least I have a picture of her getting off the bus.  She was all smiles and had sat with a sweet little girl from our neighborhood all the way home.  After all that I am still in shock that my little girl is in school every day.  She seems very tall, very capable and very mature all of the sudden.  
Waiting at the bus stop, and being picked up.

3 comments:

Family of 5 said...

Yah for Sarah- Your mom is so proud of you! You'll be a pro soon and love going to school I'm sure! Whoever thought going to school would be so emotional...every year too...and when they go to highschool we'll be dragging them outta bed and probably not taking pictures of them waiting for the bus! :) hehe!! :) FUn that you can do that now! I hope lil Adam is feeling better! And I almost didn't recognize Sarah in the 2nd to bottom picture! Wow she is growing up!

Acker Family said...

Oh Wendy how horrible! But way to be a tough mama and get things done! Can't believe she's that old! I still remember really talking to you for the first time and you were pregnant with her! Crazy. Hope Adam gets to feeling better fast!

girl said...

It isn't as good of story as last year, but it will do. :) I am so glad she is adjusting alright. Hope you are adjusting to the quiet mornings. I am sure Adam loves the attention! :)