Wednesday, October 15, 2008

1st graders are odd.

I have the pleasure of volunteering in Alex's classroom this year.  I am really enjoying being there, although I must admit 1st graders are little odd.  I feel the whole time I am in the room that I am gambling with my health, as many of them appear to have rather dirty hands.  They have an odd smell to them up close and they seem to always want to be "up close".  Last time I was there I made the mistake of letting this one little guy tell me all about his dream from the night before.  Well that did it, I was now officially his story telling victim.  Every time I turned around he was there, asking if he could tell me a story or tell me about something really scary.  It was hard not to roll my eyes, plus when I was trying to not look at him I could tell he was looking at me.  It became this battle of wills between us, as I looked anywhere but at him and he looked only at me.  After volunteering this week Alex had a melt down at home.  I asked him what was wrong and he finally cried out,"my girlfriend is moving to another state".  I was not aware he had a girlfriend, so I started to ask him who she was.  But no sooner had I taken a breath to speak then he was throwing his hands up saying, "I guess i'll have to get a new one".  I hope he will recover so easily from heart break when he is a teenager.  Really, first grade is great.  The kids are still sweet and fun and have a lot of little kid in there.  But they are a little odd.

3 comments:

Family of 5 said...

Ah, I love those cute stories of your kids! It makes me look forward to those times when I can share those memories with my kids! :) Also, about the lil 1st grader always watching you...hmm...a lil weird I think too! :0 ) Funny lil people they are; I worked for my practicum in a 1st grade class and there was a lil girl in there and she told me I was her best friend on the first day...and she ALWAYS wanted to be beside me! They just make you feel so loved! :) hehe!

Acker Family said...

I really do love reading your blog. You're so funny you make me laugh :) And I love the little boy who loved telling you stories! What fun I have to look forward to someday!

Kyle Kivett said...

RYan says Hi.