Friday, April 24, 2009

High School Kids Smell, they just do!


So, kids are stinky, every age, every kind.  I left stinky ones behind, traveled with stinky ones, and came home to REALLY stinky ones.  Especially that Adam, the boy smells.  The trip was awesome, minus the really long travel, overnight, bus trip.  The saving grace was that it was a charter, unfortunately that means we had a bathroom for them to use.  No matter how much Kyle said fluids only in the toilet, we still had kids doing other stuff in there.  One time even when we were PARKED next to a Burger King, crazy.  Seriously though it was a great trip.  The kids really grew and became more jazzed about learning.  The workshops in Disneyland were amazing.  They worked with real Disney studio musicians.  The jazz band worked with a guy that plays for the Dancing with the Stars band.  They recorded the pink elephants number from Dumbo.  So they rehearsed with him and then they recorded it in sections, then they would play it back with the actual animation going along with what they recorded, super cool.  The wind ensemble recorded several things when they had their workshop.  The kids walked away flying high.  We visited several colleges and also some sights in the Hollywood area, Olvera st. is awesome as is Griffith park observatory if you ever get a chance to go to either places.  But I missed my kids, I was really lonely a couple of times when the band was busy and found myself wondering around Disneyland.  I was so desperate I almost waited in line to meet Tinker Bell once, then I decided to go stalk one of Kyle's students.  I bribed her with a free drink to hang out with me :)  I do like to think she enjoyed it, but I'm not as cool as I was in my 20's.  I'm not going to post a lot of pictures because they are mostly of Kyle and I in the same pose, taking self portraits, or of band kids.  The one at the beginning of this post is my favorite from the Hollywood Bowl.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The rehersal and recording opportunities sound great. What a blast to be able to make the music and play it back with the video. What a great learning experience that most will never get to do again. Way to go setting up a wonderful experience for them. Music education rocks!

Cathy said...

Ha! totally.:) Actually, if you'll notice it's all people that have commented at one point or another, and the number is so high because SOME people (ahem) are posting many comments at a time (which is totally legal:))


...course the attentions not so bad either....;) I highly recommend you to do! ...then maybe I can win!